Tree Nuts are an easy way to add flavor and nutrition to any meal and snack. They are packed with important vitamins, minerals and phytochemicals, or plant compounds that may help reduce the risk for chronic disease.
While all nuts are rich in unsaturated fats and contain protein and fiber, they each have their own special attributes as follows:
- Almonds and Hazelnuts are rich in Vitamin E, an antioxidant that may help reduce the risk of certain chronic diseases;
- Walnuts contain important Omega-3 fatty acids which have been shown to help lower the risk of cardiovascular disease;
- Pistachios and Pecans are high in beta-sitosterol, which may help lower cholesterol levels;
- Madacamias are the highest in monounsaturated fat: a heart-healthy fat;
- Cashews are low in total fat.
So go ahead, choose your favorite tree nuts and have a handful daily!